Interagency Media Advisory
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE—May 18, 2015
Media Contacts: Mariah Leuschen, 406-548-1174; Leona Rodreick, 406-683-3984
Fire Media Day
Tuesday, May 19th in Billings and Wednesday May 20th in Bozeman
Who: Federal, State and Local firefighting managers from the Custer Gallatin National Forest, Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest, Yellowstone National Park, Billings and Dillon Bureau of Land Management Field Offices, Montana Department of Natural Resources, the National Weather Service, Bureau of Indian Affairs Crow Agency Fire & Aviation and Gallatin County Emergency Management are working together to host the 2015 Interagency Fire Media Day.
What: Interagency Media Day focused on the upcoming 2015 Fire Season preparations, including how agencies are getting ready for fire season in May and June, what seasonal predictions look like and what crews are doing to train and prepare for this year’s season.
Two Locations in Billings and Bozeman
- Billings – May 19 at 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Bozeman – May 20 at 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Billings: Billings Interagency Dispatch Center, Conference Room (1299 Rimtop Drive, Billings, MT)
- Bozeman: Bozeman Ranger District, Back Conference room (3710 Fallon Street, Bozeman, MT 59718)
- 9:00 Welcome and Introductions
- 9:10 National Weather Service Seasonal Outlook
- 10:15 Landscape and Agencies, Fire Management
- 10:30 Break
- 10:45 Fire Information, Getting out on the Fireline, One Less Spark Campaign, UAS/Drones
- 11:15 Demo
- Basic Fire Behavior
- Firefighting Gear
- Pack and equipment
- 12:00 Open Interviews
Why: Learn and ask questions about the upcoming fire season, how each agency prepares and works together, along with what reporters need before being escorted on the fire line.